St Leonard, to whom the Church is dedicated, lived in Gaul in the sixth century. He was the son of a noble family and gave up a career at court to become a monk. He is known as the Saint of all those possessed, either of evil spirits or of disease, and of all prisoners and captives - in fact of all who need to be unchained, physically or mentally.
The Church is a Grade II* listed building. The first documented record occurs in 1223 when the Bishop of Lincoln collated Robert Haldien of Banbury to the church.